tentree's 1 Billion Global Tree Pledge
1 billion verified trees supporting communities across the globe
tentree was founded with the goal of doing one thing – planting trees. We create the most sustainable apparel we can and use it as a vehicle to plant trees – 10 trees for every item sold. To date, we have planted over 60MM trees across the globe in areas such as Canada, USA, Nepal, Madagascar, Senegal, Kenya, Haiti and Indonesia. We have invested millions in tree planting efforts during this time and have also developed the first blockchain enabled, on-the-ground verification platform for global reforestation efforts that we are currently rolling out in Kenya, Nepal, Madagascar, and Indonesia.
We are excited to announce our pledge of 1 billion trees by 2030. To date, these trees have created resilient coastlines in Madagascar, provided food security for farmers and their families in Senegal, ensured water conservation in Peru, and provided jobs in Indonesia, and supported countless communities across the globe. Collectively, these trees have covered over 3,000 hectares of land in Madagascar, Nepal, and Indonesia (density ranges from 10 – 20k trees/hectare). In Senegal, where fruit trees are the main focus, it has resulted in hundreds of farmers converting their unproductive peanut farms into productive “Forest Gardens”.
A number of our projects focus on mangroves (~40MM of the 60). These mangroves will sequester over 10MM tonnes of carbon in their lives. We suspect that, with natural regeneration, this number will be dramatically higher.
Actions in this pledge
Restoring and growing trees and forest landscapes
- Assisted natural regeneration
- Actions that support natural regeneration without tree planting, such as Farmer Managed Natural Regeneration, forest soil remediation, exotic species control, disease prevention, and wildfire protection
- Re-establishment of forest through planting and/or deliberate seeding on land classified as forest, that has been degraded or where trees are unlikely to regenerate naturally
- Activities that establish and manage the integration of trees into agricultural landscapes, silvopastoral systems, farming in forests and along forest margins and tree-crop production
- Mangrove restoration
- Establishment or enhancement of mangroves along coastal areas and in estuaries
- Watershed protection and erosion control
- Establishment and enhancement of forests on very steep sloping land, along water courses, in areas that naturally flood and around critical water bodies
tentree has developed monitoring technology to ensure transparency in global restoration projects. This commitment to sustainability and impact has led to the development of veritree. veritree leverages remote sensing, on-the-ground data and distributed ledger technology to ensure tree planting is done correctly and support verification. The tool captures data on number and species of trees planted, site specific environmental and socio-economic impact, SDG related impact, CO2 sequestered, jobs created, hours worked and size of area restored. Data is provided in real time with updates and customizable features to set goals and targets.
Restoring & Growing
- 1 billion
Enabling activities for trees and forest landscapes
- Nursery and seedling development
- Establish tree nurseries, including actions such as identification and collection of seeds and/or growing seedlings
- Sustainable forest management
- Activities that support the stewardship and use of forests (including by local communities and indigenous peoples), to maintain their biological diversity, productivity, and regeneration capacity, as well as their potential to fulfil relevant ecological economic and social functions
- Market development for sustainable forest products
- Activities that create markets and demand for ecologically and socially responsible timber and non-timber forest and agroforestry products, e.g. capacity-building for the harvesting and processing of agroforestry products, forest certification standards, etc.
- Education and capacity building
- Forest / tree species conservation and restoration education programmes, targeted educational and behaviour change campaigns, training and capacity building, including promotion of local and traditional knowledge and practices
- Community mobilisation
- Community mobilisation and engagement activities for conservation, restoration and reforestation, including enabling systems of community governance, etc.
- Data collection, management and technological tools
- Activities that provide data and/or technological tools to support conservation and restoration (e.g. monitoring etc.)
- Financial innovation
- Activities that create additional financial opportunities and incentives for conservation, restoration and reforestation (e.g. blended financing vehicles, etc.)
tentree works closely with NGO partners to support a diverse portfolio of restoration activities. This includes agroforestry and food security restoration and training projects across Africa, mangrove restoration to build climate resilience in Madagascar and Indonesia and reforestation projects in the Andes to ensure water security. Due to the nature of the different projects, impacts are assessed according to the specific goals of the projects using veritree.
Our ecologically and socially responsible approach
tentree are committed to monitoring restoration sites in an ecologically and socially responsible manner. To enable this, tentree is utilizing veritree as its monitoring platform. veritree provides a planting management system for ground level data collection.
To ensure adherence to global standards and protocols, tentree is using the veritree platform. veritree provides geospatial data and scientific models to inform project partners of species and site suitability as well as frequently used metrics for environmental and social restoration monitoring.
ECOAN / Global Forest Generation (Peru), Plant with Purpose (Haiti, Tanzania), Eden Reforestation Projects (Madagascar, Kenya, Indonesia, Nepal), Trees for the Future (Senegal), Zanzibar, Parks Canada, Replant & One Tree Planted (Canada), Monarch Butterfly Foundation (Mexico), and several others.
We are working at locations across Canada, Haiti, Indonesia, Kenya, Madagascar, Mexico, Nepal, Peru, Senegal, Tanzania, and United States of America (USA).
Our implementation progress
Pledge implementation progress reporting is managed in collaboration with IUCN’s Restoration Barometer, and is required annually from the year following pledge publication.