Krystal's Billion Tree Pledge: Conserve, Restore, Grow 1 Billion Trees
Trying our best to leave the planet a better place than we found it!
Climate change is a fact. It is already a global catastrophe and it is accelerating. Yet the ecological collapse that it can bring about is entirely avoidable if we all work together.
Krystal’s 1 Billion Tree Pledge is a bold initiative to conserve, restore or grow 1 billion trees worldwide by 2030. It’s a big goal from a small company that we hope will inspire others to aim high. Only with a monumental and coordinated effort can humanity hope to stave off the worst of futures. There can be no half-measures.
There are currently around 3 trillion trees remaining in the world; about half the number that existed before human civilisation. Replacing some of these trees could be the fastest and most economical way to help restore equilibrium.
We intend to grow the right type of trees in the right areas using local knowledge and people. By partnering with veritree we will be able to verify overtime that our efforts are providing a long term benefit.
Krystal was created to be a vehicle for positive change. For us, benefitting the planet is more than creating an ethical brand, it’s our reason for existing. We are fully committed to this fight.
At the point of taking this pledge we’ve planted over a million trees, offset the entire lifetime carbon footprint of our 60-strong workforce, and are B Corp pending. We recognise this is just the beginning.
Actions in this pledge
Restoring and growing trees and forest landscapes
- Re-establishment of forest through planting and/or deliberate seeding on land classified as forest, that has been degraded or where trees are unlikely to regenerate naturally
- Mangrove restoration
- Establishment or enhancement of mangroves along coastal areas and in estuaries
- Watershed protection and erosion control
- Establishment and enhancement of forests on very steep sloping land, along water courses, in areas that naturally flood and around critical water bodies
- Urban tree planting
- Planting and maintaining trees within urban areas
Our first milestone was one million trees planted through our partner Ecologi. We will monitor activity using veritree and plan to start our one billion pledge October 2021
Restoring & Growing
- 1 Billion Trees
Enabling activities for trees and forest landscapes
- Education and capacity building
- Forest / tree species conservation and restoration education programmes, targeted educational and behaviour change campaigns, training and capacity building, including promotion of local and traditional knowledge and practices
- Community mobilisation
- Community mobilisation and engagement activities for conservation, restoration and reforestation, including enabling systems of community governance, etc.
- Data collection, management and technological tools
- Activities that provide data and/or technological tools to support conservation and restoration (e.g. monitoring etc.)
For example, Krystal as a hosting service provider, will provide cloud computing services to partners that will support restoration efforts.
Our ecologically and socially responsible approach
Krystal is committed to working with partners who ensure that methods of monitoring are implemented in an ecologically and socially responsible way with transparency in mind.
To ensure that Krystal can meet and exceed both global standards and protocols we have partnered with Ecologi and veritree. Both partners provide full transparency and accountability with key metrics for environmental and social restoration monitoring.
Through our partner Ecologi, Krystal only supports projects that meet the highest verification standards of both Gold Standard and Verified Carbon Standard.
Ecologi also works with additional offset projects which meet separate important sustainability and development standards including CCBS and SDVista.
Our system of accreditation
Verified by 3rd party - veritree Verification Tool
veritree / veritree.com
Tentree / tentree.co.uk
Million Tree Pledge / milliontreepledge.org/
Ecologi / ecologi.com
Avery & Brown / averyandbrown.com/
We are working at locations across Canada, Indonesia, Kenya, Madagascar, Mexico, Nepal, Peru, Senegal, Tanzania, United Kingdom (UK), and United States of America (USA).
Our implementation progress
Pledge implementation progress reporting is managed in collaboration with IUCN’s Restoration Barometer, and is required annually from the year following pledge publication.