Healthy Forests, Healthy People
Raising awareness about the health and environmental benefits of trees through forest restoration, community tree planting and education
- Restoring & Growing, Enabling
- This pledge will take place from
- 2022 to 2025
- United States of America (USA)
Nice-Pak pioneered the first wet wipe back in 1957. We are now a global leader in the manufacturing and marketing of wet wipes for our own brands and on behalf of multinational retailers. Nice-Pak prioritises plant-based fibre, increasing the amount of certified cellulosic fibres in our wipes year on year. We are committed to bringing environmental sustainability and improved health impacts to communities across the globe through our products, expertise, and education. We are focusing on forestry and environmental education to drive awareness that forests and trees are the best nature-based solution for climate change and play a vital role in human health. Working with partners we will restore forests, improve tree equity, and support education that connects human and environmental health.
- Restoration: Planting one hundred and fifty thousand trees over the next three years in ecosystems impacted by wildfires or other natural disasters.
- Community Tree Planting: Identifying communities where there is a need to plant trees to improve health of people and the environment, improving their Tree Equity Score.
- Education: Supporting the development of curriculum that focuses on the health benefits of forests and trees, helping to educate twenty-five thousand students about how forests and trees improve their health and wellbeing.
Actions in this pledge
Restoring and growing trees and forest landscapes
- Re-establishment of forest through planting and/or deliberate seeding on land classified as forest, that has been degraded or where trees are unlikely to regenerate naturally
- Urban tree planting
- Planting and maintaining trees within urban areas
Planting 50,000 trees each year and conducting at least one community tree planting each year for the next 3 years
Restoring & Growing
Enabling activities for trees and forest landscapes
- Education and capacity building
- Forest / tree species conservation and restoration education programmes, targeted educational and behaviour change campaigns, training and capacity building, including promotion of local and traditional knowledge and practices
- Youth engagement
- Engagement of young people and/or youth networks to catalyse a restoration generation
Reaching 300 educators over 3 years with impact on 25,000 students
Our ecologically and socially responsible approach
To meet the challenges posed by climate change, our planting partners American Forests will implement our pledge with the latest science on climate informed forestry. This includes experimenting with planting designs, species mixes, site preparation actions, etc. All of our actions will include planting the right tree in the right place as well as in ecologically appropriate locations. Nice-Pak and American Forests work with partners that provide long-term stewardship and monitoring capacity.
American Forests, Project Learning Tree (an initiative of the Sustainable Forestry Initiative)
We are working at locations across United States of America (USA).