Ant Group's 260000 hectares of ecological projects
From 2021 to 2030, 260,000 hectares of ecological projects such as afforestation, conservation and tending will be carried out, equivalent to planting, protecting and restoring 340 million trees.
- Restoring & Growing, Enabling
- This pledge will take place from
- 2021 to 2030
From 2021 to 2030, we aim to carry out 260,000 hectares of afforestation, conservation and tending ecological restoration projects in ecologically vulnerable areas in Inner Mongolia, Gansu, Qinghai, Ningxia, Shaanxi, Hebei, Sichuan, Yunnan and other places in China, which will further alleviate ecological degradation such as desertification and soil erosion in these areas, and also improve biodiversity and ecological carbon sink capacity, increase forest coverage and carbon storage, tackle and mitigate global climate change.
Ecological restoration projects carried out under this goal will not only produce ecological benefits, but also economic and social benefits. The project will create employment opportunities and income for participating local farmers and herders, and allow local communities to participate directly in efforts to improve the local ecological environment.
Actions in this pledge
Restoring and growing trees and forest landscapes
- Assisted natural regeneration
- Actions that support natural regeneration without tree planting, such as Farmer Managed Natural Regeneration, forest soil remediation, exotic species control, disease prevention, and wildfire protection
- Re-establishment of forest through planting and/or deliberate seeding on land classified as forest, that has been degraded or where trees are unlikely to regenerate naturally
- Watershed protection and erosion control
- Establishment and enhancement of forests on very steep sloping land, along water courses, in areas that naturally flood and around critical water bodies
Restoring & Growing
- Land area
- 260000 hectares
Enabling activities for trees and forest landscapes
- Sustainable forest management
- Activities that support the stewardship and use of forests (including by local communities and indigenous peoples), to maintain their biological diversity, productivity, and regeneration capacity, as well as their potential to fulfil relevant ecological economic and social functions
- Education and capacity building
- Forest / tree species conservation and restoration education programmes, targeted educational and behaviour change campaigns, training and capacity building, including promotion of local and traditional knowledge and practices
- Community mobilisation
- Community mobilisation and engagement activities for conservation, restoration and reforestation, including enabling systems of community governance, etc.
- Youth engagement
- Engagement of young people and/or youth networks to catalyse a restoration generation
- Data collection, management and technological tools
- Activities that provide data and/or technological tools to support conservation and restoration (e.g. monitoring etc.)
Our system of accreditation
The afforestation projects supported by Ant Group through the Ant Forest Project have been independently inspected and accepted by a third-party auditing entity, and the number of trees planted each year is independently verified by a third-party accounting firm.
Shanghai Ant Forest Ecological Green Development Foundation, China Green Foundation, China Green Carbon Foundation, China Rural Development Foundation, China Environmental Protection Foundation, China Youth Development Foundation, Beijing Entrepreneur Environmental Protection Foundation, Elion Foundation, Yunnan Green Environment Development Foundation, etc., as well as local forestry and grassland authorities.
We are working at locations across China.