The Right Now Climate Fund
$100 Million Pledged Toward Reforestation, Conservation and Nature-Based Solutions
Through our commitment to The Climate Pledge, Amazon is reducing carbon emissions across our business operations. In addition, to supplement these decarbonization actions, Amazon established the $100 million USD Right Now Climate Fund to take immediate action to remove and reduce carbon emissions by supporting nature-based climate solutions.
Nature-based solutions are conservation, restoration, and improved land management activities that increase carbon storage in areas such as forests, wetlands, peatlands, and grasslands around the world. Nature-based solutions provide additional benefits to preserve the natural world, such as conserving wildlife habitats, protecting biodiversity, improving water quality, and reducing flood risk. All of these benefits can enhance well-being in communities around the world.
We align with scientific research to fund initiatives that are critical for hitting the targets of the Paris Agreement and staving off the most catastrophic effects of climate change. We also focus on large-scale transformations which would be unlikely to occur without significant new investment.
Our priorities for nature include reducing deforestation to near-zero, especially in tropical regions within the next decade (such as our leading support for the LEAF Coalition announced in April 2021); scaling up the removal of carbon from the atmosphere with nature-based solutions such as reforestation and agroforestry (such as the Agroforestry and Restoration Accelerator in Pará, Brazil that we announced in Sept 2021); and funding projects generating climate, biodiversity and social benefits within the communities we operate in (such as the Urban Greening in Berlin project announced in May 2020).
On Sep 23rd 2021, Amazon announced a €20 million allocation for nature-based projects to improve environmental conditions in the communities where it operates across Europe, as part of its Right Now Climate Fund. As the first recipient, we’ll be supporting the work of the Parco Italia urban forestry programme in Italy.
See Amazon’s Sustainability Website for more information about our Right Now Climate Fund projects and Amazon’s continued commitment to sustainability.
Actions in this pledge
Conserving trees and forest landscapes
- Permanent conservation
- Secure a forest through acquisition or legal agreement to avoid planned or unplanned deforestation or degradation, and/or ensure permanent conservation of land
- Conservation support activities
- Support the operating costs and activities of existing conservation areas, including advocacy for conservation policy
Driving deforestation to near-zero in the next decade is critical for hitting the Paris Agreement goals and staving off the most catastrophic effects of climate change. Significant investment is urgently needed to help communities set a course for sustainable economic development that protects the forest, particularly in tropical forest regions. We believe ending deforestation requires effective government policy that protects forests and provides for sustainable livelihoods, across entire landscapes within a government’s jurisdiction. Amazon’s participation in the Lowering Emissions by Accelerating Forest finance (LEAF) Coalition is an example of this approach.
Restoring and growing trees and forest landscapes
- Re-establishment of forest through planting and/or deliberate seeding on land classified as forest, that has been degraded or where trees are unlikely to regenerate naturally
- Activities that establish and manage the integration of trees into agricultural landscapes, silvopastoral systems, farming in forests and along forest margins and tree-crop production
- Mangrove restoration
- Establishment or enhancement of mangroves along coastal areas and in estuaries
- Watershed protection and erosion control
- Establishment and enhancement of forests on very steep sloping land, along water courses, in areas that naturally flood and around critical water bodies
- Urban tree planting
- Planting and maintaining trees within urban areas
Science-based pathways to global net-zero emissions under the Paris Agreement will require removing billions of tons of CO2 from the atmosphere each year over the coming decades, and nature-based carbon removal has enormous potential to help close the gap. Amazon’s nature-based carbon removal actions center on building systems, tools, scientific knowledge, and scalable business models for reforestation and regenerative agroforestry. Over time, we will look to expand our focus to include other forms of nature-based carbon removal, such as restoring mangrove forests and marine ecosystems.
Restoring & Growing
Enabling activities for trees and forest landscapes
- Nursery and seedling development
- Establish tree nurseries, including actions such as identification and collection of seeds and/or growing seedlings
- Sustainable forest management
- Activities that support the stewardship and use of forests (including by local communities and indigenous peoples), to maintain their biological diversity, productivity, and regeneration capacity, as well as their potential to fulfil relevant ecological economic and social functions
- Data collection, management and technological tools
- Activities that provide data and/or technological tools to support conservation and restoration (e.g. monitoring etc.)
- Financial innovation
- Activities that create additional financial opportunities and incentives for conservation, restoration and reforestation (e.g. blended financing vehicles, etc.)
- Other enabling activities
- Funding for scientific research
Amazon aims to increase the integrity, quality and supply of nature-based solutions, and supports the advancement of science, technology and methodologies in this space.
Our ecologically and socially responsible approach
The Right Now Climate Fund is committed to supporting projects that are additional, quantifiable, real, permanent, and socially-beneficial. We work with reputable partners and local organizations to ensure that social, environmental and economic benefits are achieved by community stakeholders.
The Nature Conservancy, Global Optimism, LEAF Coalition
We are working at locations across Brazil, Germany, Italy, and United States of America (USA).
We are also exploring other locations in Latin America, Southeast Asia, Africa, Europe and North America.