One Million Trees for a Thriving Planet
Planting and protecting one million trees for a resilient, equitable and secure future
- Conserving, Restoring & Growing, Enabling
- This pledge will take place from
- 2020 to 2030
- Argentina, Australia, Bolivia and more
Being a responsible business is one part rethinking our relationship with the earth’s natural resources and one part finding new solutions that promote a net positive future. Through our carbon financing, we aim to derive multiple benefits to the environment and communities.
We’re committed to supporting projects that produce one or more of the following outcomes:
1) local communities benefit from economic development through training and employment opportunities;
2) increased biodiversity protection and habitat for at-risk species;
3) clean water for downstream communities;
4) supportive of aquatic life; and
5) resilient protection for communities at risk for severe weather events.
Actions in this pledge
Conserving trees and forest landscapes
- Conservation support activities
- Support the operating costs and activities of existing conservation areas, including advocacy for conservation policy
Forest protection through avoided deforestation projects, as well as improved forest management.
Restoring and growing trees and forest landscapes
- Re-establishment of forest through planting and/or deliberate seeding on land classified as forest, that has been degraded or where trees are unlikely to regenerate naturally
- Activities that establish and manage the integration of trees into agricultural landscapes, silvopastoral systems, farming in forests and along forest margins and tree-crop production
- Mangrove restoration
- Establishment or enhancement of mangroves along coastal areas and in estuaries
We plan to work with trusted implementation partners, increase nature-based solution projects into our carbon portfolio and promote tree planting for employee and customer engagement.
Restoring & Growing
Enabling activities for trees and forest landscapes
- Sustainable forest management
- Activities that support the stewardship and use of forests (including by local communities and indigenous peoples), to maintain their biological diversity, productivity, and regeneration capacity, as well as their potential to fulfil relevant ecological economic and social functions
We plan to work with trusted implementation partners, increase nature-based solution projects into our carbon portfolio and promote enabling activities for trees and forest landscapes.
Our ecologically and socially responsible approach
We work with credible partners on the ground who use high-quality standards where applicable.
Natural Capital Partners, Carbon Zero, City of Milan and One Tree Planted
We are working at locations across Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, China, Ecuador, Ghana, Haiti, India, New Zealand, Peru, Portugal, Romania, and United States of America (USA).
Our implementation progress
Pledge implementation progress reporting is managed in collaboration with IUCN’s Restoration Barometer, and is required annually from the year following pledge publication.
VMware pledge implementation progress report 2022
with supporting documentation